RAID and Linux

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 1 19:02:24 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> I wouldn't buy Dell that's for sure.  I recently helped someone out that
> was running a lot of Dell servers, and one stopped working (it appeared
> like it would power on, but most of the time nothing would appear on the
> screen, while other times you would see the bios but then it would turn
> itself off.  Letting it cool off for 20 minutes would get the bios to
> appear again for a minute or so before it would go back to just staying
> blank).  The guess was that the power supply had gone, and of course the
> windows server install didn't want to boot on any other machine with
> different hardware, and calling Dell gave an answer of "We will let you
> know in 5 hours if we even have any spare parts for that model and if we
> do it will be 7 to 10 days to get them to you".  I solved the problem
> with a google search and finding a used identical machine (well except
> for having a second cpu and twice the ram and 6 73GB scsi disks in it)
> in kitchener, then went and got it and we put the disks in that and got
> things back up.  So much for service.  And yet the other guy working on
> the problem (had been for about a week when I got there) said Dell had
> the best service out of all the big brand names.  I don't think I want
> to buy a server from any of the name brand companies.
>
> Never mind the number of Dell laptops I have seen where the battery
> charging circuit has died near the end (or just after) the warrenty
> period.

My work computer is a Dell Inspiron notebook.  What a piece of...  As
for service, I had to return my ThinkPad, for repair under warranty.
IBM sent a shipping box via courier and I sent it in via courier and had
it back in a very few days.  If I'd paid for better service, I'd have
had it back much earlier.  There's a big difference between IBM and
Dell, in both product quality and service.