Templating advice

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 22 16:41:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I've been looking to update my HTML templating system to make it more
> flexible. I'd like to have a templating system that would let a skin
> redefine where various elements show up on the screen for any given page.
>
>  Thus far, my system calls a file, reads a named section, substitutes in
> variables and returns the finished HTML data as a string variable that I
> print when I am ready. I was thinking about having a "layout" template
> definition that tells the program where and in what order to display the
> components.
>
>  My question is how to go about doing this (from a high level view, not from
> a program language level).
>
>  I want the page to still layout sanely should CSS/JS be disabled, so I want
> the foundation of the templating system to use basic HTML, if possible.
>
>  Any suggestions, warnings or caveats I should keep in mine before delving
> into this?

Another vote for using CSS to do this -- that's what it's there for.

Each client/group/topic can have different CSS definitions that make
that section or version of the web site different. The best part is
that the underlying pages don't change, all the work is done by the
browser.

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario