New project, "Code to Code"

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 19 22:51:30 UTC 2008

Marc Lanctot wrote:
> Is inline reply against this list's etiquette or something? You've
> apologized twice. It's second-nature for me to do this. Is isn't
> frowned-upon in general, is it?

I guess it's personal preference. As I've read, it's preferred to not
use in-line replies because it makes it a little harder to follow the
thread. For me though, I prefer it as it lets me address each point
individually, though I sometimes feel like I am annoying someone. :)

> Well, yes kind of. The search feature seems to work well now because it
> isn't full of a lot of data yet. I wonder how slow it would be if it was
> full.
>
> What I'm suggesting is a separate page index of topics (right now these
> topics are on the individual Foo to Bar pages) that is like a meta-index
> for all of the Foo to Bar pages.
>
> No need to worry about this right away, though.

It's a very good point, and one I will keep in mind as the format of the
site evolves.

> Yep, and I added a bunch to the Java -> C++ page (mostly string
> manipulation stuff) and I could add even more because I've had to deal
> with these crossings in the past 2 years, but I've put up enough for one
> day :)

Oh wow, did you ever!! That is excellent, thank you very much!

> I have to say.. I'd much rather sign in once and not have to do the
> CAPTCHA thing every time I edit. And given recent e-vandalism, maybe
> having "contributors" attached to an email address isn't such a bad idea.
>
> Marc

I don't like having people feel obliged to register, so I installed
reCAPTCHA in the hopes of deterring our little vandal. It didn't seem to
slow him down though, so I just disabled it.

I very much want this to be a project that people think "Hey, I've got
five minutes, I'll add X" and not worry about being hassled. I guess
figuring out how to best do that will come with experience. :)

Again, thank you very much!

Madi