New project, "Code to Code"

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 22 05:17:01 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I don't like having people feel obliged to register, so I installed
> reCAPTCHA in the hopes of deterring our little vandal. It didn't seem to
> slow him down though, so I just disabled it.

CAPTCHA isn't a general solution to all problems - the only one that
it *consistently* solves is that of warding off *automated* vandalism.

A human that wants to vandalize your site will be able to negotiate
the "CAPTCHA test" and do their thing.  Stupid scripts may be
deterred, but not "stupid people."

The whole thing is quite unfortunate.  The dumb part is that sexual
*anything* shouldn't be getting into this.

I'd be unsurprised at hearing opining that "Linux people should be
more open than that;" I'd judge that to be incorrect, actually.  There
are people into Linux of all sorts of shapes and sizes and
preferences, including some that would prefer not to get into various
sorts of "gory details."

I expect that in this instance, everything is being inferred from a
name change, and there's not much that could be done to avoid such
troubles.  Tracking down the offender and punishing him would more
than likely add to the set of wrongdoings, and strengthen his resolve.
 Sigh.
Stephen Leacock  - "I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue
that I shall some day die, which is not so."