Linux friendly cameras

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 19 17:20:19 UTC 2008

2008/12/18 William Muriithi <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:
> Ah, I feel like we left some important discussion here. Which camera
> offer the best picture when taken in a poorly light area, the camera
> that has the best focus sytem of course at the best price. I hated a
> camera that I used to own because at night, I ended with a no image if
> I did not use flash. Now, if my eyes can see something in the dark,
> why shouldn't it be possible to have a picture in such environment?
> Ok, this is just my pet peeve, but interesting info to have in mind
> when shopping

http://www.dpreview.com/ offers full technical specs for almost every
digital camera ever made (including video resolution and fps ... but
not necessarily the format it seems, sorry).  They also provide
extensive reviews of many of the cameras.

To address Joe's original question, I'd like to suggest (along with a
few others) taking the card out of the camera and plugging it into a
card reader.  This is very easy and avoids all compatibility problems,
and (a minor and as yet unmentioned detail) doesn't use the camera
battery.  Or require you to carry what's often a proprietary cable.

I have a Nikon 5400 which spent six months in southeast Asia with me,
and has now taken over 7000 photos: wear on the CF slot and cards is a
non-issue despite the frequency with which I've pulled them out and
put them in.  It's designed for that and you'd have to be really rough
on them to cause significant damage.  The same thing applies to SD
cards or pretty much any other removable media.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org