Linux friendly cameras

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 19 01:48:04 UTC 2008

Mike,

2008/12/18 Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:36:04PM -0500, Stephen wrote:
>> There is a small chance that the camera can be damaged. Not really an
>> issue with a consumer camera.
>
> By that logic you could damage the camera through static discharge while
> taking the memory card in or out.  Sounds like a load of crap to me.

I also feel that damage to camera due to plugging in USB is very
unlikely. If in fact this is the case, the camera manufacture should
never avail that facility. Providing it is implicitly saying, go
ahead, plug it to your computer, its safe.

Think about it, how many people do you think plug their camera to
their computer. Millions. I have never heard of this concern until
today and I hope I read industry crap widely enough. How many others
are in dark.
>> But when you use a body that costs many thousands of dollars, why take a
>> chance?
>>
>> For that matter, why take a chance with a consumer camera? A card reader
>> costs just a few dollars.
>
> And the USB cable works fine too.

Ah, I feel like we left some important discussion here. Which camera
offer the best picture when taken in a poorly light area, the camera
that has the best focus sytem of course at the best price. I hated a
camera that I used to own because at night, I ended with a no image if
I did not use flash. Now, if my eyes can see something in the dark,
why shouldn't it be possible to have a picture in such environment?
Ok, this is just my pet peeve, but interesting info to have in mind
when shopping

Regards,

William