grumble about GNU info

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 15 21:43:49 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 02:35:26PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Whenever I use GNU info I feel that I've been rickrolled.
>
> Example:
>
> ls is using colour when it has no business doing so.  The device has
> no colour capability and the terminfo says so.  So I went to look up
> how to control this "feature".

So what is the terminal type?

Certainly I have seen ls --color=auto in the past work fine and do the
"right thing" based on terminal type.

> As is too often the case, the ls(1) manpage is incomplete.  It does not
> describe the environment variable LS_COLORS (it should).  ls(1) says
> the full documentation is in texinfo.
>
> The info command is particularly annoying, so I install pinfo.  But
> pinfo doesn't take the same arguments as info, so I give up on pinfo
> for this task.
>
> I go to info coreutils 'ls invocation'.  I come up empty handed.

Well disabling any use of colour will probably involve finding where it
was aliased in or otherwise enabled in the profile or bashrc of the
system or the user.

And info docs suck. :)

--
Len Sorensen