Fwd: Please Stand Against the New Copyright Bill

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 26 11:15:56 UTC 2008

Ian Petersen wrote:
> On the subject of remote permission servers, I think it was Yahoo!
> that recently shut its servers down.  People who had shown themselves
> to be paying customers by buying DRM'ed music and allowing their music
> players to check with Yahoo! for permission before each performance of
> a "protected" work were suddenly screwed out of their money because
> Yahoo! no longer felt like supporting the permission-granting service.
>  It should not be illegal for those people to find a way to listen to
> the music they paid for.  (And, I'd argue, they shouldn't _have_ to
> "find a way"--they paid for the music, it should be easy to listen
> to.)

Not too long ago, some major league (baseball IIRC) fans found
themselves in that position.  They'd paid for their DVDs, but found they
could no longer watch them, as the content provider switched servers and
essentially said "tough luck".  I seem to recall Microsoft was also
recently involved in such a scam too.