[Fwd: RE: Please Stand Against the New Copyright Bill]

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 24 00:37:39 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 6:24 PM, John Myshrall <jmyshrall-6duGhz7i8susTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> We at least my MP responded. I guess I'll have to ask him some tougher
> questions now that I have his attention.

Here's the response from my MP - Wayne Marston, NDP

Dear Mr. Elcomb,

Thank you for voicing your concerns about the copyright bill, C-61.
For the last two years the NDP has been warning the government not to
attempt to bring forward restrictive U.S.-style DMCA (Digital
Millennium Copyright Act) legislation. We urged them to consult with
stakeholders and develop legislation that would protect artists,
innovators and consumers in the 21st century.

Unfortunately, the government has completely ignored calls to bring
forward reasonable copyright legislation. In fact, this bill is worse
than originally feared.  There is no evidence of an attempt to strike
any reasonable balance that would protect either artists or consumers.
Instead, we are faced with a full capitulation to the U.S. corporate
lobby that will pave the way for the criminalization of perfectly
reasonable behaviour (like format shifting of most legally purchased
content).

Across the country, people like you are coming together to oppose this
legislation in online chatrooms, on facebook and in coffee shops.
They are voicing their concerns with the legislation by writing
elected officials, by posting comments on web-pages dedicated to the
copyright discussion, and by writing letters-to-the-editor that call
for a truly balanced approach.  Thank you for being among them.

The NDP is strongly opposed to this bill and we are calling on MPs
from other parties to listen to their constituents and join us in the
growing chorus against it.  We are pushing for legislation that will
ensure that artists and creators are compensated for their work but
that also ensures consumers are able to enjoy reasonable rights of
access.

I would strongly encourage you to stay active in this fight by putting
the heat on the Ministers of Industry and Heritage, the Prime
Minister, and the leaders of the other opposition parties.  Whether
you call, write, email, or all of the above, your participation will
be important to making our opposition to this bill impossible to
ignore.

Thank you again for getting involved.

All the best,

Wayne Marston, MP