ssh -X

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 15 16:10:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:54:50AM -0400, Neil Watson wrote:
> X is confusing in that it works the opposite from what one expects.  To
> run an X app remotely you need an X server locally.  This is because the
> X server does the rendering.  The answer to your Windows question is to
> have an X server running on your Windows client.  I use cygwin.

No it is perfectly sensible.  X is a client-server model.  One X server
and multiple clients.

The server provides services to the clients, in this case X input events
and X display output, and possibly also X font services.

Too many people think a server is a large computer that runs large
programs, and that their computer is a client.  That mostly made sense
when people used dumb terminals.

--
Len Sorensen