ssh -X

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 15 16:20:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, Teddy wrote:

> Today I discovered ssh -X (old new to most TLUG)

Doesn't it just rock :)  It's more secure _and_ easier to use than
unencrypted network transparency displaying.

> I was able to run X window applications remotely from a Ubuntu box
> running X Windows. If I were to run an X-window app from Putty/Windows,
> would the X-window apps still run? (my guess is no)

If you install an X server on MS-Windows you can display X apps there just
as you can on Unix or any other OS that supports X.  Some MS-Windows
X servers allow integration of both X and MS apps on the desktop while
others run X in a box.  IIRC Cygwin can now do either.

One interesting upshot is that you can turn an MS-Windows box running X in
to a thin client (XTerminal) for a Unix system (with or without using
ssh).  Put X in fullscreen mode and you now have the ability to flip
between your MS-Windows and Unix desktops with an alt-tab.  On the few
occassions I've actually _had_ to have an MS-Windows system on the
desktop, this is how I survive.

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy