CD-Rom Drive Not Mounting

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 12 17:19:13 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Usually udev would create a symlink in /dev called cdrom pointing at the
> real device.  You can change /etc/fstab to say /dev/scd0 instead of
> /dev/cdrom.
>
> iso9660 and udf are the only filesystems I can think of for CDs and
> DVDs.  No idea what blueray uses.  Audio CDs of course are not mounted
> since they have no filesystem, only raw audio data.  Those you just play
> (or extract).
>
> file -s /dev/scd0 might give a clue as to what is on the disc.

More progress. Data CDs are read just fine.

file -s /dev/scd0

cannot deal with audio disks, but it can deal with DVDs. It identifies
them as UDF and reads the DVD label.

I am trying to use a program "Sound Juicer" to rip music to the hard
drive. This program reports that it cannot
find any CD-ROM drives.

I created a root account and tried from there with the same result, so I
don't think it is a permission issue.

Google shows a number of people reporting this problem, but I can't find
a solution.

When I insert an audio CD in my desktop Ubuntu system, an icon appears
on the desktop. It does not on the PS3.

Any further thoughts?

Many thanks
Stephen