CD-Rom Drive Not Mounting

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 12 15:45:10 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 11:36:51AM -0400, Stephen wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> >mount -a mounts all auto mounted filesystems.  noauto means don't auto
> >mount.  Try 'sudo mount /mnt/cdrom'.
> >
> This is helping!
>
> I got an error saying /dev/cdrom is missing.
>
> In fact, it is.
>
> I checked my desktop system and found  /dev/scd0  is being used.
>
> That file was present on the PS3  so I tried it.
>
> I got an error saying wrong file system.
>
> So I need to find the right driver file I should be using.

Usually udev would create a symlink in /dev called cdrom pointing at the
real device.  You can change /etc/fstab to say /dev/scd0 instead of
/dev/cdrom.

iso9660 and udf are the only filesystems I can think of for CDs and
DVDs.  No idea what blueray uses.  Audio CDs of course are not mounted
since they have no filesystem, only raw audio data.  Those you just play
(or extract).

file -s /dev/scd0 might give a clue as to what is on the disc.

--
Len Sorensen