dsl outage? - again this weekend?

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 10 19:52:30 UTC 2008

Herb Richter wrote:
> Madison Kelly wrote:
>> Neil Watson wrote:
>>> Did anyone else suffer a dsl outage starting around 10am on Saturday
>>> until around 4am Sunday?
>>>

>> Ya, no idea why. Seemed pretty random, too. Some sites were more
>> responsive then others, but nothing worked well. What ISP are you on,
>> Sympatico?
>
> It seems that DSL in the 416 area is essentially down (86% packet loss)
> again this weekend - at least from about 11am Saturday.  ...I hope this
> is not to be a regular thing.
>
> I'm recently added DSL from Teksavvy whose teck support is terrific but
> MaBell seems to doing something.
>
> Herb Richter...
>
> P.S. can't believe I'd be happy that I still have Rogers cable ;-|

Yeah, I was all but down again... I've been monitoring my sync rate and
over the weekend the downstream went to heck... My speed dropped to
320kbps DOWN with a noise ration of 29db (out of 31, at worst), but the
up was fine at 800kbps. I wrote it off as the storm, but it also seems
that every time there is a storm, it goes to heck.

What I am wondering is, given that the signal up is fine, if Bell could
be doing something to try and say "hey, see, you connection is going to
pot because of those dirty ptp'ers.". If that was so though, the up
would be equally messed up.

Then again, never attribute to malice what can be attributed to
incompetence, or something like that.

Madi