someone is using my email address to spam, is there a way to stop this ?

Dave Cramer davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 10 00:02:35 UTC 2008

On 9-Aug-08, at 7:56 PM, Robert Brockway wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Aug 2008, Robert Brockway wrote:
>
>> It's an RFC 2821/2822 requirement.  A bounce message is a very
>> important part of SMTP so the MTAs sending the bounces aren't
>> generally at fault. Without
>
> *sigh* This is a good reason not to write a technical email while
> being
> distracted.
>
> In general the sender of a bounce is doing nothing wrong, however if
> the MTA accepts the email before verifying the receipient it can
> become a source of backscatter spam so in this case the sender of
> the bounce probably is at fault.

pretty much what I figured. The bounce is legitimate.

The most interesting thing is I'm getting about 500 bounces a day for
the last 3 days. Each one from a different ip address. This means that
there are at least 1500 machines in this botnet sending the spam.
Scary when you think about it. And that doesn't even include all the
emails that are actually getting through to their intended victim.

--dc--