someone is using my email address to spam, is there a way to stop this ?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 9 23:56:58 UTC 2008

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008, Robert Brockway wrote:

> It's an RFC 2821/2822 requirement.  A bounce message is a very important
> part of SMTP so the MTAs sending the bounces aren't generally at fault.
> Without

*sigh* This is a good reason not to write a technical email while being
distracted.

In general the sender of a bounce is doing nothing wrong, however if the
MTA accepts the email before verifying the receipient it can become a
source of backscatter spam so in this case the sender of the bounce
probably is at fault.

I'm happy with the rest of my original email, although I'm still being
distracted :)

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"