dsl outage?

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 3 21:18:36 UTC 2008

Madison Kelly wrote:

> Dave Cramer wrote:
> > Well, ultimately all DSL is from bell, so they are all connected.
> >
> > --dc--

> >> I am with Primus.  My connection was completely down.
>
> Indeed, they all go through Bell's concentrator and deep packet analysis
> machine. Given that Neil's connection is through Primus, and I am going
> through Interlink (another reseller), it does seem to indicate an issue
> with Bell.
>
> During the problem, I checked my sync rate and it was fine, so the
> problem wasn't the last mile. Also, I run my own, patched DNS servers,
> so I don't think it was a DNS issue directly unless it was somewhat
> upstream.
>
> Given that some sites were better than others and the throttling coming
> and going, I worry that they were playing with restricting access to
> specific sites. I found serious trouble accessing some high-bandwidth
> sites like deviantart.com.
>
> Madi, who admits to being paranoid about bell's view of net neutrality.

It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you:

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/07/31/tech-bell.html

Now they won't just be throttling P2P traffic on competitor's (heh) networks,
they'll be limiting bandwidth across the board, _and_ they're lobbying to have
the independants shut out of Bell CO's altogether because, in Bell's view,
there's 'enough' competition and we don't need any more.

--
JoeHill