dsl outage?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 3 21:48:47 UTC 2008

JoeHill wrote:
> It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you:
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/07/31/tech-bell.html
>
> Now they won't just be throttling P2P traffic on competitor's (heh) networks,
> they'll be limiting bandwidth across the board, _and_ they're lobbying to have
> the independants shut out of Bell CO's altogether because, in Bell's view,
> there's 'enough' competition and we don't need any more.

Of course it depends on where they connect to Bell.  Some, such as
Rogers, have their own DSLAMs located in the Bell office and are
provisioned with DS3 connections for the internet side of the system (&
T1s for the voice).  If that DS3 goes right back to Rogers or other,
then there's nothing Bell can do, beyond causing problems on the
subscriber cable pairs.