ReiserFS: Was: Hans Reiser Guilty of First Degree Murder

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 30 13:18:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 09:01:37AM -0400, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> As Mr. Reiser was being found guilty of murder, his file system became
> corrupted on my Suse linux machine. (I assume, but have no proof, that
> those two events are unrelated ;).
>
> My ham-fisted attempts at recovery totally destroyed the file system.
> Fortunately, I had backups - and this gave me an excuse to upgrade to
> newer hardware and operating system. (Question for the great Oooohm of the
> universe: why the *%(^@#$ in these new GUI driven systems do they make it
> so difficult to find Xterm?)
>
> Anyway, on the basis of previous experience with extfs I got the
> impression that extfs was somewhat more tolerant and recoverable from
> errors. Any observations or comments from the group on that?

ext3 works for me.  It recovers well (even from very stupid mistakes on
my part).  reiserfs may perform better (when it works) but if it breaks
it has a lot less redundancy and its repair tools are pretty much a joke
and can often cause more damage.  XFS had serious bugs in linux when I
tried to use it 3 years ago, so since I actually wanted to do work, not
run xfsrepair after reseting a crashed machine I moved to ext3 again and
have stuck with that.  I never tried JFS and I have seen rumours that
support for it may be going away, but I am not sure.

--
Len Sorensen