Hans Reiser Guilty of First Degree Murder

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 30 13:12:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:08:36AM -0400, Ian Petersen wrote:
> I wonder if that would really be worth the trouble.  I didn't realize
> the reiser in reiserfs was a person's name until long after I started
> using the filesystem, and lots of computer users couldn't tell you the
> name of the filesystem they're using, or even recognize that a
> filesystem is a distinguishable entity in an operating system.  If
> someone wants to fork the project in order to bring it back into
> active maintenance, I could understand choosing a new name since
> you're already doing all the work of forking, but otherwise it seems
> like a wasted effort to me.

There are lots of other people named Reiser.  It's just a name after
all.  Just because there might be one bad person with the name doesn't
make it a bad name.

What would the world do if a serial killer was named John Smith.  Oh
dear.

Besides he did start the project to develop the file system.  And who
knows, maybe appeals will happen and at some point he could be found not
guilty.

--
Len Sorensen