Hans Reiser Guilty of First Degree Murder

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 30 04:08:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:58 PM, Ansar Mohammed <ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Well at least its open source and the project can continue without him. But
>  should they rename it considering the filesystem will be named after a
>  convicted felon.. I mean who wants to use MansonFS or McVeighFS :P

I wonder if that would really be worth the trouble.  I didn't realize
the reiser in reiserfs was a person's name until long after I started
using the filesystem, and lots of computer users couldn't tell you the
name of the filesystem they're using, or even recognize that a
filesystem is a distinguishable entity in an operating system.  If
someone wants to fork the project in order to bring it back into
active maintenance, I could understand choosing a new name since
you're already doing all the work of forking, but otherwise it seems
like a wasted effort to me.

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com