Hans Reiser Guilty of First Degree Murder

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 30 12:34:04 UTC 2008

Mike Oliver wrote:
> Quoting Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:
>> I hate to be a "semantics nazi," but I find it fairly typical that the
>> title says "Hans Reiser Guilty" when what happened was "Hans Reiser
>> *FOUND* Guilty," which has the not-so-fine distinction [...]

> Yeah, this seems to be standard journalistic shorthand, but it bugs me
> too a little bit.
That's why it's called a "title", "subject" or "headline". By necessity
it must be overly simplistic. The details of the story were accurate --
the very first sentence was "Jurors found Linux programmer Hans Reiser
guilty ..."

Playing "semantics nazi" with headlines and titles strikes me as one of
the most utterly pointless things upon which to expend effort. Why not
complain about the grammar too? (the title contains no verb)

Sheesh. This exchange evokes one of my favourite Monty Python songs:
http://www.lyricsdepot.com/monty-python/im-so-worried.html

- Evan