P.H.P. and Python (and Tcl/Tk!)

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 29 19:04:01 UTC 2008

> I used to think that P.H.P. and Python were programming languages.
>
> Then someone told me that they were not programming languages, but
> scripting languages.
>
> Now I have read that P.H.P. and Python are neither programming languages
> nor scripting languages, but are instead frameworks.
>
> What are the differences between programming languages, scripting
> languages, and frameworks ?
>

> James ('Jim') E. McIntosh
> <jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org>
> 416-292-8126
> ---

Scripting: Higher Level Programming
for the 21st Century

John K. Ousterhout

http://home.pacbell.net/ouster/scripting.html

Quote:
------
Scripting languages such as Perl and Tcl represent a very different style
of programming than system programming languages such as C or JavaTM.
Scripting languages are designed for "gluing" applications; they use
typeless approaches to achieve a higher level of programming and more
rapid application development than system programming languages. Increases
in computer speed and changes in the application mix are making scripting
languages more and more important for applications of the future.

We use Tcl/Tk, a scripting language, to program our hardware. Ousterhout
shows a very strong time and effort advantage for scripting languages in
software development, in a comparison of various projects.

Peter

Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
http://www.syscompdesign.com
USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
647-839-0325