P.H.P. and Python

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 29 18:41:49 UTC 2008

Here's my two cents. My impression is that a "scripting language" is
intended to be run through an interpreter, rather than compiled, like
a programming language is. The result was that a compiled language
gave you faster applications. Like C is faster than anything else,
apparently, is owing to the efficiency and quality of the compiler
turning your code into lean assembly, or what have you.

But since computers have become so much faster, I think that in most
cases the difference between compiled code and interpreted code
becomes less important, except for some specific circumstances where
performance really matters.

There's also some snobbery in there too, I'm thinking. "Scripting" is
a put-down when uttered by a programmer. In truth, I don't think of
myself as a programmer when I'm building web applications with PHP.
But having delved into programming with Objective-C and the Cocoa
frameworks, I can see the similarities for sure. So we're not so
different, I'd say!

PHP and Python are definitely NOT frameworks. A framework is a set of
functions or method calls that you can use in that language to make
certain tasks easier. Like CakePHP is a web application framework.

Cheers,
Aaron.

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 2:33 PM,  <jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I used to think that P.H.P. and Python were programming languages.
>
>  Then someone told me that they were not programming languages, but
>  scripting languages.
>
>  Now I have read that P.H.P. and Python are neither programming languages
>  nor scripting languages, but are instead frameworks.
>
>  What are the differences between programming languages, scripting
>  languages, and frameworks ?
>

>  James ('Jim') E. McIntosh
>  <jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org>
>  416-292-8126
>  ---
>
>  --
>  The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>  TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

Aaron Vegh, Principal
Innoveghtive Inc.
P: (647) 477-2690
C: (905) 924-1220