nscd doing IPV6 requests on an IPV4-only system ???

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 28 22:02:03 UTC 2008

The preliminaries...
  - I start off my USE variable in /etc/make.conf with "-*" (a Gentoo
    setting for real control freaks)
  - I have *NOT* enabled IPV6 anywhere
  - This is North America folks; my ISP's owners know what IPV6 is and
    are working on getting it operational, but it's not running yet.
  - I'm not a pro or anti IPV6 zealot.  When I need it, I'll enable it.
    For now, I don't need it.

  Anyhow, I have nscd enabled, and I'm seeing stuff in my logs like...
Apr 25 18:34:48 m3000 nscd: gethostby*.getanswer: asked for "mail.teksavvy.com IN AAAA", got type "A"

  A search of "man nscd" and "man nscd.conf" and Google does not find
anything about restricting nscd to IPV4.  Is this a minor resource
issue?  What happens if nscd *DOES* find an AAAA record, and my system
doesn't know what to do with it?

Stop the Squeegee Kids in Pinstripe Suits
Fight SAC's Canadian internet tax http://walterdnes.wordpress.com