[OT]: Any tutorial suggestions for a talk?

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 27 23:39:01 UTC 2008

Hey all,

While I've been offline for a while, I haven't been entirely inactive.  :-)

Version 1.1 of Atomic OS[1] is well underway and focuses primarily on
making the project into a formal javascript library - libatomos (which
can finally be included into any web page with a simple script tag) -
and somewhat more browser agnostic[2].

Anyway, I've a bunch on the go with the project including a basic RAD
tool prototype.  The tools' relevant here because I'm looking at
submitting a talk proposal for an upcoming mini-conference at HLUG;
I'd liketo include a short 20-25 minute tutorial on using the RAD tool
and Atomic OS to build a web app.  (The RAD tool will be FOSS, but I
don't expect it'll be bundled with Atomic OS...  More on that in the
future.)

The problem is that, for the life of me, I can't think of a small
webapp to use for the tutorial portion.  Last time I spoke at TLUG I
used a calculator as a basic conceptual example, but it's just not
very exciting.  Next time I speak I'd like to have something
worthwhile and concrete to walk people through (not to mention
including on CD's and in some presentation handouts).

Because time is limited, there will be no server-side component to the
application.  Data persistence is availble for applications loaded via
a file:// URL though because Atomic OS creates a VFS within the HTML
document.

So, with all that said, can anyone suggest a small (and hopefully
useful) web application concept I might be able to run with?

TIA!
- Scott

[1] If you're not familiar with Atomic OS, it's purpose is to provide
HTML documents with a javascript library/environment resembling a
modern OS - loosely modelled after Linux.

[2] Estimated browser compatability:
- Firefox 2: 100%
- IE 5/6: 90% (Don't use any flags with 'ls'!)
- Opera 9: 60% (Opera rewrites functions in a funny way)
- Opera Mini: 40% (Has the above issue and CSS positioning is
completely b0rken.)

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/