Rogers bandwidth warnings appearing in web browser

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 25 20:09:24 UTC 2008

| From: Matthew Godycki <mcg2-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| To be fair, many people that have Rogers High Speed Internet use it purely as
| an ISP and do not use their e-mail services.

I run fetchmail every few months to see what crud is in my Rogers
account.  Most or all is ads from Rogers.  So if they want to talk to me,
they seem to think that they could use email.  Consistent?  Rogers?

I don't think that they allow forwarding from that account to
somewhere else.  Pity.

I'm still not using "Rogers Yahoo" mail (or whatever the new thing
is), even though they pushed customers to move over.  My feeling is
that if Rogers wants me to do something there is probably a reason
that I shouldn't.

I'm not clear on whether I can send outbound mail through their SMTP
server with my domain as the From address.  When they started blocking
outbound TCP to port 25 they had a FAQ that dissed that as "vanity
domain" -- first I'd heard of the term but not the last.

When I want to send email through my Rogers connection (only in
emergencies) I use an IPsec tunnel to a friendly relay in another
continent.  Another thing to break.