linux friendly web hosting

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 15 18:38:45 UTC 2008

William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:31:55AM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
>> teddy wrote:
>>> I am looking for locations to locate a few servers that is linux friendly.
>>> Must be in the GTA. (ie.must be able to do local maintenance)
>>>
>>> Each box averages 1mbits/sec average traffic.
>>> Price is primary.
>> If I can pitch my place of work, look up iplink.net. 'Tis the host of
>> the TLUG website, and I've used them personally for a few years now.
>> Rack space or virtual hosting, and right downtown. :)
>>
>> </shameless_pitch>
>
> I would not call this a shameless pitch.  Personal recommendations are
> the best way I know to find things that you need, and if you "know"
> someone offering a service via a list, you are likely able to assess
> whether the service is worthwhile.  Madison and several others on the
> list are frequent, polite, helpful contributors - and if they suggest
> their places of work for an offering, I would trust them to provide
> first-rate service.
>
> Similarly, back when I was using istop as my ISP, I frequently cringed
> at the postings made by the president of that company, and when istop
> imploded I realized that I should have changed services earlier -
> because I knew the owner of the service was "socially challenged", and
> so his destruction of his business because of a personal conflict with
> Bell, on whom his business depended, was probably inevitable.
>
> Others may chime in on this topic, but in my opinion, anyone with a
> service to offer should suggest it when the topic arises - we already
> know what you are like from your track record, or lack thereof, and can
> make an informed choice.

Plug for Prioritycolo, they're a good bunch. They do dedicated, and
colocated servers. They have great peering arrangements and there hasn't
been a network problem that I know of with them in 1.5+ years. I also
see their routers in traceroutes from different Montreal hosts, so
they're handling a fair amount of traffic into and out of 151 Front St.

I do have to ask though, if there is that much maintenance to do on the
boxes, perhaps reconsidering and getting managed servers is more
appropriate? Sure it costs less to do work yourself in the sort term
(notwithstanding hardware costs), but if there's that much work to do
that requires physical access then I have to wonder if there are larger
configuration problems or hardware quality issues that might, if given
the appropriate attention in the first place, reduce or eliminate the
need for that much hands on work in the first place?

There is of course the joy of doing it yourself which I don't discount
in the least. But it does seem that if price is an issue, buying good
hardware and configuring it properly should obviate the need to have to
go visit the box(es) and help save time and money in the long term.

My plug and $0.02.

Jamon