linux friendly web hosting

Tue Apr 15 15:26:14 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:31:55AM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
> teddy wrote:
>> I am looking for locations to locate a few servers that is linux friendly.
>> Must be in the GTA. (ie.must be able to do local maintenance)
>>
>> Each box averages 1mbits/sec average traffic.
>> Price is primary.
>
> If I can pitch my place of work, look up iplink.net. 'Tis the host of
> the TLUG website, and I've used them personally for a few years now.
> Rack space or virtual hosting, and right downtown. :)
>
> </shameless_pitch>

I would not call this a shameless pitch.  Personal recommendations are
the best way I know to find things that you need, and if you "know"
someone offering a service via a list, you are likely able to assess
whether the service is worthwhile.  Madison and several others on the
list are frequent, polite, helpful contributors - and if they suggest
their places of work for an offering, I would trust them to provide
first-rate service.

Similarly, back when I was using istop as my ISP, I frequently cringed
at the postings made by the president of that company, and when istop
imploded I realized that I should have changed services earlier -
because I knew the owner of the service was "socially challenged", and
so his destruction of his business because of a personal conflict with
Bell, on whom his business depended, was probably inevitable.

Others may chime in on this topic, but in my opinion, anyone with a
service to offer should suggest it when the topic arises - we already
know what you are like from your track record, or lack thereof, and can
make an informed choice.
--

yours,

William