VPN *almost* works

Srinivasan Krishnan skrishnan-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 13 04:55:40 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 18:20 -0400, Phillip Mills wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2008, at 4:29 PM, Srinivasan Krishnan wrote:
>
> > Looks like a MTU issue.  Check the MTU at both ends, and maybe
> > bring it
> > down to something safe like 536 and test.
>
> Thought I should mention that I am able to duplicate exactly the same
> symptoms with PPPoE directly to the ADSL modem rather than through
> the Linksys.  But I suppose there's some default MTU setting on the
> ppp device (I'm not at that computer to check right now).

It appears that your VPNC client is setting a MTU that the Cisco does
not like.  Try this as root:

/sbin/ifconfig tun<x> mtu 1000

where tun<x> is your VPNC interface.  I believe this should work.  If it
does, try increasing the MTU till you reach the point where things stop
working, and then set your MTU to the highest working value.  If the
connection is still problematic, do the reverse: reduce mtu till you
find a value that works.

HTH,

Krishnan