Debian ia64 Install (WAS "4GB memory")

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 4 13:34:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 11:50 PM, Jamon Camisso
<jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>  IA-64 is a little misleading, as is amd64 in a way. IA-64 is for Intel
> Itanium processors (you'd most certainly know if you had one), whereas amd64
> is for amd64 chips, and for Pentium dual core and core2duo chips as well.
> Try http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-cd

I can't begin to go into how dumb this is.  For YEARS the "i" in
"i386" and "iN86" was "Intel."  So I read "ia64" as "Intel
Architecture 64-bit."  It's more than a little counter-intuitive for
the correct disc for an Intel chip to be the one labelled "amd."  Of
course we've been installing "i386" on AMD systems for years.

End rant.  Yes, the amd64 disc booted on the system, thanks.

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 8:48 AM, Lennart Sorensen
>  ia64 = itanium.  You want amd64 (x86_64).
>
>  Thank you idiots at intel for that naming decision.
>  ia32 = i386
>  ia64 = itanium, because intel doesn't want a 64bit x86, they want a new
>        architecture only they can produce.
>  amd64 = AMD decides they do want a 64bit x86 and suprisingly enough, so
>         did everyone else too
>
>  In the linux world amd64 is normally called x86_64, but Debian doesn't
>  permit '_'s in architecture names (it is reserved as a field seperator
>  in package filenames), so they called it amd64 since amd designed it and
>  it is 64bit.

Thanks Lennart.  I still violently disagree with the naming scheme,
but at least now I understand the very broken logic behind it.

As for memory ...  I suppose it's time to call and bitch at Dell.  The
amd64 kernel sees 3.3GB of memory on a machine with 4GB installed
(just as it did with 32-bit standard kernel, 32-bit bigmem kernel, and
Vista), and I see no BIOS options about it.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org