Debian ia64 Install (WAS "4GB memory")

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 4 12:48:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 11:31:54PM -0400, Giles Orr wrote:
> As a follow-up to the previous thread: I turned off "Virtual Memory"
> in Vista, rebooted, defragged, and asked Vista to shrink its own
> partition ... and it offered to give me a full 89MB more.  Uh huh,
> thanks but no thanks.
>
> GPartEd believes it would have no trouble resizing Vista's partition.
> I haven't taken it up on that yet.

Having used gparted to do just that (because vista wouldn't) I know it
does in fact resize it.  After that vista refuses to boot until you
"repair" it's overly paranoid boot loader using the recovery system on
the "real" installer DVD.  Only takes a minute or two to fix it after
the resize if you have a real DVD with the recovery tools.

> But what's got me writing today: I used jigdo to create an ISO of
> debian-testing-ia64-CD-1 (the same process that successfully made a
> bootable CD of i386) and the computer won't boot from it.  It mounts
> and I can see the files on it, but it won't boot.  I can't remember
> how to do an md5sum on a CD to compare to the ISO and it seemed easier
> to download and burn debian-testing-ia64-businesscard ... which
> behaved in exactly the same way.  The computer attempts to boot from
> CD, thinks about it for about five seconds, and then boots from the
> HD.  As I say, both appear to be valid discs.  Debian's instructions
> just say "boot from the disc," as if there's nothing special to be
> done.  Anyone have any ideas?

ia64 = itanium.  You want amd64 (x86_64).

Thank you idiots at intel for that naming decision.
ia32 = i386
ia64 = itanium, because intel doesn't want a 64bit x86, they want a new
       architecture only they can produce.
amd64 = AMD decides they do want a 64bit x86 and suprisingly enough, so
        did everyone else too

In the linux world amd64 is normally called x86_64, but Debian doesn't
permit '_'s in architecture names (it is reserved as a field seperator
in package filenames), so they called it amd64 since amd designed it and
it is 64bit.

--
Len Sorensen