New at Rogers.

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 2 14:07:07 UTC 2008

Neil Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 08:06:32AM -0400, Aaron Vegh wrote:
>> Rogers ain't perfect, but they're the best choice out there if you're
>> looking for fast home interwebz.
>
> I wouldn't go that far.  Sure all ISPs suck and some just suck less than
> others.  Let's not forget that with Rogers you can't have a static IP
> address and some of your inbound ports are filtered (e.g. 25).

I don't care about port 25 being filtered. It is very easy to work
around that and there is at least some justification for filtering that
port. As for the static IP, every Rogers customer has a fully-qualified
domain name, something like
cpeXXXXXXX-cmXXXXXXX.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com. That is good enough for
me to ssh to machines at home, which is all I really need.

At the moment, Rogers is not throttling encrypted BT so I can download
an ISO reasonably quickly. However, I believe that it is only a matter
of time before they implement the same crap that Bell implemented and
destroy network performance on all encrypted communications. That would
have a very serious negative impact on my usage because I often have
multiple ssh sessions to various servers. I think this is a prelude to
charging for "business" usage to those people who depend on VPN connections.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation