Learning to Program

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 30 04:37:22 UTC 2007

On 9/29/07, Henry de Valence <hdevalence-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi. I'm 15, and I started using Linux last February, and haven't looked back.
> I started with Ubuntu, but then I switched to Kubuntu. Right now I'm running
> Gutsy Gibbon, because Fiesty doesn't support my video card. Anyways, I know a
> bit about Java and C++ (I have the basic stuff about datatypes, control
> structures, functions and recursion, etc, and some OOP stuff.) What I know I
> learned partly by myself and partly in a summer course I took (the Grade 11
> CS course, but according to my teacher we went beyond what we were supposed
> to).
>
> Anyways, I'm looking for a good, comprehensive guide to learning about
> programming GUI applications for KDE using QT, and I figured this would be a
> good place to ask. Ideally, I'd like something that I can do a bit at a time,
> because I have homework and other stuff. The other thing is that I'd like to
> learn programming for KDE 4 applications, but right now I'm running 7.10,
> which uses KDE 3.5. I thought this would be a good place to ask for
> suggestions.

A search at Amazon.ca for "kde development" finds 5 books; "qt
programming" finds 14.

I'm not sure which of those would be considered "best;" I actually
find KDE to not be too much to my taste, so it's not of much direct
interest to me.

Some of the QT books were written by seminal authors that work for
Troll Tech, and could be considered pretty authoritative in that
regard.  But that wouldn't draw you as much into the extra services
provided by additional KDE libraries.  So it's not obvious what
metrics to prefer...
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)