What to do? It's Google's Street View.

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 26 17:50:29 UTC 2007

Scott Elcomb wrote:

> On 6/1/07, Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > When George Orwell created Bigbrother who could have predicted how
> > different it would turn out.  Between Google, and the pervasive presence
> > of camera phones and web cams the citizens are now firmly doing the
> > watching. Disturbing?  Yes, but it far better than Orwell's prediction.
>
> Cory Doctorow's come up with a rather relevant tale, Scroogled[1].
> It's in this months' Radar Magazine under a Creative Commons
> license[2].
>
> It speaks to the Orwellian connection and prompted an interview with
> the Wall Street Journal[3].
>
> Interestingly, a Reuters news item[4] popped up on Google News
> (naturally) today regarding Street View in Canada.  As referred to in
> the article, the Canadian Privacy Minister has some issues[5] with
> Street View.

..but apparently not with warrantless wiretapping.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/09/12/tech-privacy.html

Absolutely amazing the way these people set priorities, eh? Strangely, I'm just
not that worried that Street View is going to accidentally catch someone
picking their nose when I learn that the spooks want to be able to tap into my
internet connection any time they feel like it.

--
JoeHill