starcraft

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 26 17:05:02 UTC 2007

Tyler Aviss wrote:

> On 9/26/07, JoeHill <joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Chris Aitken wrote:
> >
> > > Tyler Aviss wrote:
> > >
> > > <snip>

> > > Well, I'm getting somewhere. I popped in the CD, nautilus displayed its
> > > contents, I right-clicked setup.exe, chose "Open with Wine Windows
> > > Emulator", installed Starcraft. I had my son try it out. He showed me
> > > that 'Single Player' is working, but when he goes to 'Multi-Player' >
> > > 'Battle.Net a little box popped up but minus the status bar which shows
> > > it is downloading stuff. This box (which does not give us the status
> > > bar) then disappears. Isn't .Net an MS technology - would it be stupid
> > > to expect it to work in linux?
> >
> > This page might help, not sure if this is the right version of Starcraft:
> >
> > http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=149
> >
> > There are some tips on getting battle.net to 'behave', apparently it uses
> > IPX (huh? haven't seen that in awhile...), but you can update the game to
> > use UDP.
>
> It should only use IPX when playing LAN games with other people on the
> same network, so you probably don't have to worry much about that.

Ha! Your top posting is no match for my cut and paste! ;)

Anyhow, I went back and reread what was on that page, and now it's even
curiouser (especially the very last sentence):

"The only networking method in the release version is IPX. However, if you
update the game, a new UDP networking option is available, which should work
for all users. In order to use IPX networking, IPX will have to be enabled in
the kernel, and you need some userspace utilities, usually called ipx-utils;
and IPX must be started (there should be an initscript). Also note that
StarCraft's network support is only available when it is run as root."

--
JoeHill