starcraft

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 26 18:29:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 01:05:02PM -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> Ha! Your top posting is no match for my cut and paste! ;)
>
> Anyhow, I went back and reread what was on that page, and now it's even
> curiouser (especially the very last sentence):
>
> "The only networking method in the release version is IPX. However, if you
> update the game, a new UDP networking option is available, which should work
> for all users. In order to use IPX networking, IPX will have to be enabled in
> the kernel, and you need some userspace utilities, usually called ipx-utils;
> and IPX must be started (there should be an initscript). Also note that
> StarCraft's network support is only available when it is run as root."

So if you get the latest update patch for starcraft it should support
UDP.  If it requires root, it probably means that they stupidly used a
port number lower than 1024.  battle.net had some serious problems early
on.  Seems blizzard simply have no clue at the start when it came to
networking.

IPX is only useful for local networks, where many years ago it was
considered perfectly reasonable to use.  Then the Internet came along
for regular folks and ipx and netbeui went away (good riddance too).

--
Len Sorensen