starcraft

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 25 01:12:59 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:
> I want to put linux on my son's computer. The bottom line is that he be
> able to play Starcraft. I know the things out there for Windows programs
> include winex (incl. cedega transgaming), CodeWeavers, Win4Lin and
> VMWare. I don't mind paying for all this to work. Although I was proud
> to be able to get my emu 1212 m pci soundcard working under linux I
> think this would be a harder task (maybe beyond me). Some of these
> things (winex et al.) I believe are kind of in bed with a couple of OSs
> (linspire? SuSE?).
>
> I have read some unfavourable comments about linspire/cedega that you
> have to pay, pay, pay, for a questionable product (not to mention it's
> not GPL correct). Another sticking point for my son is whether or not
> he'll be able to play Startcraft  /online./ He says there are extra
> software bits to download for that - he's assuming these have not been
> ported to linux. Cedega guarantees Starcraft but they don't mention
> playing online. I've been able to do most things I've set out to do on
> linux (in large part by the grace of this mailing list) but what are my
> chances of success with this project?
>
> Chris

I got World Of Warcraft (big MMORPG) today under Ubuntu following this
HowTo: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=312482&highlight=low+memory

Replace the WoW executables with Starcraft and you should be good to go.
I did have to tweak my Xorg.conf file because of an "issue" with this
particular card, but otherwise it's fine, and it is online play.

Madi