starcraft

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 25 00:12:29 UTC 2007

I want to put linux on my son's computer. The bottom line is that he be
able to play Starcraft. I know the things out there for Windows programs
include winex (incl. cedega transgaming), CodeWeavers, Win4Lin and
VMWare. I don't mind paying for all this to work. Although I was proud
to be able to get my emu 1212 m pci soundcard working under linux I
think this would be a harder task (maybe beyond me). Some of these
things (winex et al.) I believe are kind of in bed with a couple of OSs
(linspire? SuSE?).

I have read some unfavourable comments about linspire/cedega that you
have to pay, pay, pay, for a questionable product (not to mention it's
not GPL correct). Another sticking point for my son is whether or not
he'll be able to play Startcraft  /online./ He says there are extra
software bits to download for that - he's assuming these have not been
ported to linux. Cedega guarantees Starcraft but they don't mention
playing online. I've been able to do most things I've set out to do on
linux (in large part by the grace of this mailing list) but what are my
chances of success with this project?

Chris