Geek woman news story of possible interest...

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 24 15:04:50 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 03:15:32PM -0400, Matt Middleton wrote:
> > In this day and age, especially with the paranoia about people trying
> > to do horrible things with airplanes, it unfortunately forces us to
> > conform.  If you choose not to, fine, but you must be prepared for the
> > potential consequences - in this case, damn near being shot.
> >
> > I've done a fair bit of flying over the last couple of years, and I do
> > the same thing as you Colin - there's no point in trying to make a
> > "statement" at the airport.  If you really wanted to make some sort of
> > pro-geek statement, wear a Penguin shirt, or something from a place
> > like ThinkGeek.
>
> And why all the worry about airports?

Because people see the big flashy security doodads at the airport and think
'wow, they're really doing something about this terrorism thing'.

> They already did airplanes.  Why won't they pick trains, ships (just remember
> what happend many years ago in halifax from a ship), busses, etc.  Someone
> setting of a bomb in a large train station would probably kill as many people
> as 9/11 did.  Can you screen everyone entering a train station?  Not if you
> want it to work you can't.

And last time I checked, the security was not all that tight at the subway
either. You know what else? I'm pretty sure I've never seen any really rich
people on the subway ;)

> Until people start dealing with the reason there are people doing crazy
> things then they will continue to happen.

Unfortunately, this is the kind of kind of thinking that is just not allowed
within the current debate. Current dogma is that there is no possible way that
we could ever change anything so that people might hate us less. We're supposed
to just bomb them, which will somehow make them... not want to bomb us?

--
JoeHill