Processors looking for a good home (OT)y

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 17 20:20:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 03:26:00PM -0400, Kareem Shehata wrote:
> Point taken (if graphically over the top), but I think the point is more
> than anything else: think of your audience.  In the average business
> communication, the context of the message is known to both the sender and
> receiver, so only the most recent entry is really needed.  The history is
> given only really for reference, and therefore can come after the new
> message.

Strange given how many emails many people get, I would think it could be
hard to remember what every thread has as a context.  Of course it
doesn't help with the kind of crap some people put as the subject
(assuming they even put anything).  Also for any kind of technical
discussion you often have multiple points to discuss and trying to
figure out the references is extremely hard when using top posting.  I
find much of the emails sent within companies is very poor in terms of
being communications.  Top posting is probably a large part of that, as
is the general inability to have good written communications for a few
people. :)

> BTW: Yes there is a mail reader that effectively forces top posting:
> Outlook.  The default configuration makes it difficult to do anything other
> than top post, and the average user doesn't know where to find the options.
> I recently had to do this just to use this list, and it takes about 4
> not-entirely-obvious steps to get there.

I guess it has gotten worse in the years since I last used it.

--
Len Sorensen