Advice for starting a new project?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 17 17:03:08 UTC 2007

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Alex Beamish wrote:

> For 2), you can either make your code proprietary and sell just the binary,
> or you can make it open source, and sell configuration, development and
> support services. Keep in mind that even if you release something as FOSS,
> you can also retain the copyright.

Or you could "dual licence" and do both.  IANAL but this seems more
complicated from a legal perspective.  I'd get a lawyer before doing this
but it is an option.  MySQL and other companies have been using this
approach successfully for years.

> And the advantage of going open source is that other developers might be
> interested in developing and supporting your code. That spreads the load,
> and means a higher profile and more market coverage for your package.

Exactly.  There are so many commercially successful OSS projects that I
hope no one disputes the viability of this approach anymore.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"