Processors looking for a good home

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 17 15:31:11 UTC 2007

Kareem Shehata wrote:
> That said, I would love to build a silent computer one day.  Even my tablet
> isn't quiet enough for me, so I'm not sure it's possible to build a decent
> PC that would be truly silent.

A good resource for this is http://www.silentpcreview.com/

The main server in my office is in an Antec Sonata II case, housing two
hard disks and an Athlon64 X2 3800+. It's quiet enough that it gets
drowned out by air coming through the furnace vent in the room. Even
right beside it I can barely hear the thing, and it's running reasonably
cool. Still, that' s not truly silent.

What _is_ "truly silent"? It's far from an obvious description,
according to http://www.silentpcreview.com/article669-page1.html

- Evan