Amazing linux stunts with 1920x1200 LCD monitor

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 14 13:03:58 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 11:27:18PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   That mode sets text console to 640x480 pixels instead of the default
> 640x400.  Using the standard 16-pixel-high fonts, you get 80 cokumns by
> 30 rows *IN REAL TEXTMODE, WITHOUT USING THE "SVGATextmode" PROGRAM*.
> If I edit /etc/conf.d/consolefont to include the line...
>
> CONSOLEFONT="lat1-10"
>
> ...it gives 80 columns by 48 rows with "vga=6".  In the default mode, it
> only gives 80 columns by 40 rows.

I wonder why that wouldn't work.  I am not sure what scan rate that mode
runs.  The default is 720x400 on VGA by the way. :)  Text mode is odd.
The characters are 9 pixels wide on VGA rather than 8 wide like EGA and
CGA.

>   I used to do it a long time ago.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to
> be a SIGWINCH equivalant for programs in X.  pypanel (or any other panel
> program) disappears off the bottom of the screen if I flip to a smaller
> resolution.  All programs still believe that they're running the same
> resolution screen as when X started.  This results in stuff disappearing
> off the edges of my "viewport".

True it works best for full screen programs where you don't intend to
switch to other programs while in a different resolution.

--
Len Sorensen