Amazing linux stunts with 1920x1200 LCD monitor

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 14 03:27:18 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 10:36:21PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 10:11:31PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> >   First of all, the bad news.  The monitor does *NOT* like "vga=6" in
> > /etc/lilo.conf (and probably not in GRUB either).
>
> Not sure what mode vga=6 is.

  That mode sets text console to 640x480 pixels instead of the default
640x400.  Using the standard 16-pixel-high fonts, you get 80 cokumns by
30 rows *IN REAL TEXTMODE, WITHOUT USING THE "SVGATextmode" PROGRAM*.
If I edit /etc/conf.d/consolefont to include the line...

CONSOLEFONT="lat1-10"

...it gives 80 columns by 48 rows with "vga=6".  In the default mode, it
only gives 80 columns by 40 rows.

> Or you could just list all the resolutions in the 'Modes' line of your
> config and use control+alt+numpadplus/minus to zoom, or even better use
> the x resolution switching program to change between them on the fly (I
> think gnome and kde even have little tools to do so) so you don't even
> have to restart X to do it.

  I used to do it a long time ago.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to
be a SIGWINCH equivalant for programs in X.  pypanel (or any other panel
program) disappears off the bottom of the screen if I flip to a smaller
resolution.  All programs still believe that they're running the same
resolution screen as when X started.  This results in stuff disappearing
off the edges of my "viewport".

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?