Networking Troubles

Fri Sep 14 02:10:30 UTC 2007

I have set up my first new computer in many years, and happily installed
Debian on it, but I am having a couple of niggling wee problems with
it, and could use a pointer or two.

The first problem is a lag in outbound networking - only on DNS queries
- pinging an IP gets instant responses, but any DNS resolved ping seems
to be waiting for a timeout.  I thought I fixed this once before, but it
has been years since I installed fresh, so I forgot this fix.

The second problem is that I cannot seem to reach my SMTP smarthost
(teksavvy) with Postfix.  The configurations are the same between this
box (working) and the new box (not working).

Here's a snippet from /var/log/mail.log:

Sep 13 15:12:20 yam postfix/smtp[7338]: 7DA639F4B0: to=<address at example.com>, relay=none, delay=20, delays=0.05/0.02/20/0, dsn=4.4.3, status=deferred (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=smtp.teksavvy.com type=MX: Host not found, try again)

I can ping the address, so something else is awry.  Any help would be
appreciated, thanks.
--

yours,

William