question on personal and field specific ispell word lists

Alex Maynard maynarda-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 10 03:20:48 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I am having a bit of trouble finding/setting up my personal wordlist
for ispell (for use with emacs on ubuntu) and was wondering if anyone
might have any suggestions?

>From my web search: (http://docs.babitch.com/O'Reilly/unix/upt/ch29_05.htm)
I got the impression that my word list would go in the
file:

  ~/.ispell_words.

However, I don't have this file, when I created this file and added words
to it, the words were not recognized by emacs. So I'm trying to figure
out where I should place my word list or what it is I'm doing wrong in
setting up the personal dictionary.

Somewhat related to this, I found a list of dictionaries at
http://fmg-www.cs.ucla.edu/geoff/ispell-dictionaries.html.
I was looking for wordlists in economics, econometrics or statistics,
but the only field-related wordlist they mention is in geology. I
was
surprised that there were so few -- not even a word list for computer
science. Does anyone happen to know if there are other field-related word
lists posted on-line? Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot.

Thanks very much for any suggestions anyone might have.

Alex