Debian Net Install

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 6 04:47:07 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 05 September 2007 21:52, Jamon Camisso wrote:

> > There hasn't been a problem that I am aware of on the first Net-Install
> > of several months ago, but these error messages bug me.  I have searched
> > the Debian Wiki without getting more clues.
> >
> > Should I just continue to ignore this or might someone [like our resident
> > Debian guru] have an idea?
>
> Once you pick your locale(s), I think you have to run locale-gen. That
> program compiles your charmap(s) into a binary form that locale() (the C
> function) can use. At least, that's how I understand it?

I did run locale-gen, not because I knew exactly what it did but because it
was suggested on the Wiki.

One more thing I didn't say -

From another suggestion on the Debian Wiki, I had added lines in /etc/profile
exporting en_CA as the value for LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and LANGUAGE.

Now locale started reporting it couldn't find the file 'en_CA'.

So I tried one more thing.

I changed export LC_ALL=en_CA to export LC_ALL=en_CA.UTF-8  and error messages
from perl and locale have stopped.

This doesn't explain why the LC_ALL has to be set when it isn't for the Etch
Debian  Desktop but I accept that the annoying messages have gone away. Now
to try it on my first Net-Install system.

Thanks for the quick response Jamon.

Cheerio

--
Merv Curley