semi-pro PCI snd crd for linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 4 20:02:05 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 12:52:47PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> Creative.com echoes this contradiction by describing "Two 1/4" balanced
> inputs [and outputs]". I thought the "balanced" part of the equation is
> that there are /two/ of them, not that /each/ one is "balanced". Isn't
> there a left and a right, together making "stereo" or "balanced"? Sorry
> to be so thick.

No balanced means it uses a balanced signal.  Not sure if they consider
each mono channel an input or if they think you need stereo (two of
them together) for an input.

Reading the manual makes it appear that to them, a pair of mono inputs
which can be used as a stereo input, qualifies as 2 inputs.  Similarly
for the outputs.  Of course a lot of music people have mono connections
to things like guitars and such, so for them they are proper inputs and
they do get two of them.  Instruments rarely have any reason to be
stereo by themselves, that is more of a mixing and output issue,
keyboards probably being the main exception.

So yes the 1212m has two balanced inputs and two balanced outputs all of
which are mono, which means you can do one stereo input and one stereo
output.

If you read the manual, on page 23 it clearly shows that for the
microdock they say "4 balanced line level inputs (configured as 2 stereo
pairs)".  Page 96 has info on balanced versus unbalanced connectors.

--
Len Sorensen