EMU 1212 M too much for P III?

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 3 03:46:27 UTC 2007

With the help of list members I got the alsa-tools and alsa-firmware I
needed to get sound out of my EMU 1212 M. Unfortunately alsamixergui
hangs my system. I ran ps ax and found the alsamixergui process. I ran
kill 2553 to quit alsamixergui and unfreeze my system.

Is the EMU 1212 M soundcard too much for my Compaq P III 733 MHz
computer? I've hung onto this PC because the box is so quiet...
The sales dude at the store said not to worry about the MHz on my PC -
he said hardware is hardware - it's the Windows software that they use
to gauge the suggested processor speed.

Chris